Wednesday, August 21, 2013

"Isn't it interesting how new stuff makes us feel like better human beings?

We just moved into a new house and I have a million things in the world to do right now but my girls are both asleep and I find myself full of words that God has placed upon my heart.  So instead of putting things away I just want to put these words upon this page!

So we are on day 5 of having this house.  Usually when I get something new I am just overwhelmed with exhilaration.  You know the feeling!  When you get something new you just are giddy with excitement but I just don't have that feeling.  The lack of giddiness was sort of wearing on me last night so I sat back and mulled over what's going on within my heart.  I'm not overly overwhelmed....little tired but nothing major.  I really do like the house...totally not feeling remorse or regret.  I just feel like God is showing my something in this moment.  And so when I sat down to listen to a sermon today from the Village Church, God totally spoke to me through what the pastor Matt Chandler was saying.

"Isn't it interesting that new stuff makes us feel like better human beings?  I mean we're not.  We just got a new watch.  But that new watch makes us feel better.  Have you ever thought about how crazy that is?  That new stuff has a drug like effect on us.  Like you get a new ride and you think you're a better human being.  NO you're just the same human being with debt.  You're not any better.  You just have new stuff.  New home makes you feel better about yourself.  It's still you...just a new house!  But it has that effect on us.  It's dangerous."

"EVERYTHING YOU OWN WILL EVENTUALLY GO TO THE GARAGE SALE OR THE DUMP.  It's going to be buried with a mountain of dirt with a bunch of other rubble.  EVERYTHING!  Everything you own is transient.  Here for but a season.  None of it makes you a better person.  None of it!"

As I read that over and over again I am just overwhelmed with emotions.  I wanted this house and now here I am living in it and God just showed up in a mighty way and reminded me of two insanely important things.

1. More More More just doesn't satisfy the soul.  It just doesn't work that way.  More square footage, More rooms, More Decorations....just doesn't satisfy.  Instead come to Me Jennifer and I will satisfy your soul!  This house was a gift to you but it IS NOT your God.  Houses make lousy Gods!

2. Remain humble with this beautiful house purchase.....because this house is here for but a season.  While it is here use it to bring glory to MY name!

 "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me"  Matthew 25: 35-36

http://www.thevillagechurch.net/sermon/the-genesis-creation-and-fall/


No comments:

Post a Comment